Pamela K. Riewerts, Esq.
Ms. Riewerts is a partner and U.S. registered patent attorney in Oliver & Grimsley’s intellectual property group. Her practice focuses on assisting clients in securing, maintaining, protecting, and commercializing intellectual property in the U.S. and abroad, and regularly counsels individuals and businesses, including start-up ventures and established entities. She also has significant experience in patent, trademark, copyright and related litigation and joined Oliver & Grimsley after handling multifaceted intellectual property and corporate litigation matters for large New York City and Washington, D.C. firms.
Ms. Riewerts’ patent prosecution and litigation practice includes counseling and advising clients regarding a variety of technologies, including agricultural and biological systems and engineering processes, environmental devices, mechanical and medical devices, pharmaceuticals, electronic methods and devices, computer hardware and software, business methods, clothing accessories, alcohol breweries and distilleries, culinary instruments, consumer products, and other technologies. Ms. Riewerts’ sophisticated patent litigation experience greatly enhances her ability to counsel clients engaged in the patent process. She also uses her engineering degree and background to work closely with inventors and technical experts to prepare reports, conduct intellectual property due diligence investigations, and provide intellectual property analyses and evaluations.
Ms. Riewerts’ services include:
• Patent Novelty Search. Ms. Riewerts searches for preexisting patents (“prior art”) before drafting an application to assist businesses or inventors considering whether to begin the patent process. Knowing what prior art exists before drafting a patent application is beneficial to the client. Sometimes, Ms. Riewerts’ search results reveal very little prior art close to clients’ idea and she can write a broader application on the clients’ behalf. In other instances, Ms. Riewerts may find that the invention already exists or that there are similar inventions in the art. In these cases, it is cost effective for the client to be aware of existing prior art up front. The right answer may be not to file an application or to design around similar features.
• Patent Drafting and Prosecution. Ms. Riewerts drafts patent applications to protect clients’ interests, and works to efficiently advance applications through the patent examination process in U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and foreign patent offices.
• State-of-the-Art Search. Ms. Riewerts evaluates and analyzes patents and other literature to identify industry trends, competitive advantages, and competitor disclosures. Businesses rely on Ms. Riewerts for this kind of research and analysis for numerous reasons, including evaluating a market to decide whether to enter it, identifying potential competition and reviewing a technology looking for entry points.
• Patent Clearance or “Freedom to Operate” Search. Ms. Riewerts evaluates clients’ inventions against issued patents in order to evaluate and reduce risks for litigation that may ensue.
• Intellectual Property Portfolio Analysis. Businesses may create a collection of intellectual property assets. Over time, it can be difficult to identify the strength and value associated with these assets. Ms. Riewerts works with accountants, experts and inventors to evaluate intellectual property assets, identify opportunities and risk factors, and develop a management strategy for the future.
• Licensing. Ms. Riewerts negotiates and structures lucrative licensing agreements between patent owners and those pursuing use of the patented technology.
• Litigation. Ms. Riewerts evaluates the merits of letters alleging infringement, and negotiates resolutions to emerging disputes. In addition, she also plays the opposite role in rendering an opinion that a competitor is unfairly asserting rights against clients. Litigation is essentially a competitive tool that may ultimately ensue. Therefore, Ms. Riewerts is well prepared to represent each client’s best interest in disputes over patent rights while keeping in line with business objectives.
Ms. Riewerts’ work experience also includes conducting trademark branding practices, intellectual property reviews and maintenance, clearance and infringement investigations, reviewing marketing materials and editorial publications for trademark compliance, coordinating enforcement efforts on behalf of clients, and drafting non-disclosure and non-compete agreements designed to protect a client’s intellectual property.
Ms. Riewerts also has experience prosecuting trademarks and copyrights and representing clients in contested proceedings before of the United States Patent and Trademark Office and with domain name resolution under the Uniform Dispute Resolution Policy. Ms. Riewerts is a business counselor and litigator who focuses on client service, understands the significance of identifying a client’s business goals and objectives, and creates a strategy designed to cost effectively achieve those objectives. In addition, Ms. Riewerts has resolved numerous intellectual property disputes outside of court in order to facilitate and further the best interests of her clients.
Prior to her tenure at Oliver & Grimsley, LLC, Ms. Riewerts practiced law as an intellectual property litigation and patent prosecution attorney with Bowie & Jensen, LLC, a Baltimore business law firm. She also practiced as a patent litigation attorney with Morgan & Finnegan, L.L.P., a New York City law firm specializing in intellectual property and with McDermott Will & Emery, a Washington, D.C law firm.
Ms. Riewerts is a graduate of the Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law. Ms. Riewerts holds an undergraduate Bachelor of Science degree in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, incorporating all engineering genres, and a minor degree in Environmental Engineering from the Pennsylvania State University. Ms. Riewerts also holds her Fundamentals of Engineering/Engineer in Training Accreditation (FE/EIT) from the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES).
Outside of practicing law, Ms. Riewerts enjoys spending time attending sporting and musical events, golfing, reading novels, and writing children’s books.
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Litigation
- Trademark/Copyright Prosecution
- Trademark/Copyright Litigation
- Trademark Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings
- Intellectual Property Counseling
- United States Patent & Trademark Office, U.S. Registration No. 69,702
- New York
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Fundamentals of Engineering Accreditation (FE/EIT)
Juris Doctorate, The Pennsylvania State University Dickinson School of Law
- Editor-in-Chief, Penn State Environmental Law Review
- Published Author, Penn State Environmental Law Review
- Associate Editor, Penn State Environmental Law Review
- Editor, World Arbitration & Mediation Report
- Published Author, World Arbitration & Mediation Report
Bachelor of Science, The Pennsylvania State University (Agricultural and Biological Engineering; Environmental Engineering Minor)
- Alpha Epsilon, Engineering Honor Society
- Engineering Department Scholarship
- Engineering Peikert Scholarship
- Dean’s List, College of Engineering
- Omicron Delta Kappa, National Leadership Honor Society
- American Society of Engineers (ASAE), President, Secretary
- Women in Science and Engineering (WISE), Program Assistant
- Society of Women Engineers (SWE)
Honors, Affiliations and Memberships
- Named to Maryland Super Lawyers List (limited to only 5% of Maryland Attorneys):
- 2018 Maryland Super Lawyers List, Super Lawyer
- 2017 Maryland Super Lawyers List, Super Lawyer
- 2016 Maryland Super Lawyers List, Super Lawyer
- 2015 Maryland Super Lawyers List, Super Lawyer
- 2014 Maryland Super Lawyers List, Rising Star
- 2013 Maryland Super Lawyers List, Rising Star
- 2012 Maryland Super Lawyers List, Rising Star
- Fellow, Maryland Bar Foundation (limited to 2.5 percent of Maryland State Bar Association membership)
- Top Patent Firms, Intellectual Property Today Magazine, 2015
- Top Trademark Firms, Intellectual Property Today Magazine, 2014
- Best Law Firms in Maryland, Tier 1, U.S News and World Report, 2014-2018
- Advisory Council Member, The Pennsylvania State University, College of Engineering- Industrial and Professional Advisory Council (IPAC)
- Advisory Council Member, The Pennsylvania State University, College of Agriculture- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program (E&I)
- Research Grant Reviewer, The Pennsylvania State University, College of Agriculture – Research Applications for Innovation (RAIN)
- Former Board Member, Board of Directors, Howard County Historical Society
- Co-chair, Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), Entertainment and Sports Law Section
- Member, Maryland State Bar Association (MSBA), Intellectual Property Section
- Member, Maryland Center for Entrepreneurship
- Member, Howard County Women’s Bar Association (HCWBA)
- Advocate, Baltimore National Aquarium
- Member, Chesapeake Bay Foundation
Pro bono and Community Service
- The Pennsylvania State University, College of Engineering-Industrial and Professional Advisory Council (IPAC)
- The Pennsylvania State University, College of Agricultural Sciences- Entrepreneurship and Innovation Program (E&I)
- The Pennsylvania State University, College of Agricultural Sciences- Invention Springboard Competition Judge
- The Pennsylvania State University, College of Agricultural Sciences- Research Applications for Innovation (RAIN) Grant Reviewer
- The Howard County Historical Society
- The Maryland State Bar Association, Entertainment and Sports Law Section
Presentations and Publications
- 2018 Women’s Leadership Conference in Columbia, Maryland. Exhibitor, March 8, 2018.
- Young Inventors in the Howard County School System, Presenter, March 7, 2018.
- “Use Your WiT in Legal Matters”, Maryland Center for Entrepreneurship, Howard Tech Council (HCEDA), Women in Tech (WiT) Affinity Group, Panelist Speaker, November 14, 2017.
- “Protecting your Software- Trademarks, Copyrights, and Patents”, Speaker and Presenter at Penn State University Happy Valley LaunchBox for Entrepreneurs, June 14, 2017.
- “Coca-cola discovers small design changes can mean lack of protection of prodcut designs: protecting product shapes and appearances”, Oliver & Grimsley, LLC, Intellectual Property, Patents, April 13, 2017.
- “Business Intellectual Property: Identify. Secure. Protect. Capitalize.”, Speaker and Presenter at Tech 4.5: Providing Commercialization, Legal, and Funding Support for the Harford County Office of Economic Development and Small Business Development Center, June 7, 2016.
- “Reducing Time for Pending Patent Applications to Proceed through the Examination Process”, Oliver & Grimsley, LLC, Intellectual Property, Patents, August 8, 2014.
- “Intellectual Property Issues for Women Business Owners”, Speaker and Presenter at Time for Mom-Me Retreat & Experience, November 1, 2013.
- “How to Mark and Provide Notice of ‘Patent Pending’ or ‘Patented’ Articles/Products”, Oliver & Grimsley, LLC, Intellectual Property, Patents, November 26, 2013.
- “Patent Filing Fee Reduction Strategies-Micro Entity Status”, Oliver & Grimsley, LLC, Intellectual Property, Patents, October 28, 2013.
- “All May Not Be Lost: Reviving an Abandoned Application or Issued Patent”, Oliver & Grimsley, LLC, Intellectual Property, Patents, August 22, 2013.
- “Trademark & Copyright Law Basics”, Speaker and Presenter at the Baltimore County Bar Association, Sept. 2011
- “Does Your Business Have Intellectual Property to Protect”, authored by Pamela K. Riewerts, Esq. and Kimberly S. Grimsley, Esq. Published in CPA Practice Management Forum, a monthly journal by CCH (July 2010).
- Federal Circuit Enforces Finality and Timeliness Rules, Intellectual Property Update, Vol. 10, No. 3, March 2007.
- Court Rejects “All or Nothing” Infringement Approach in Determining Summary Judgment against Family of Product, Intellectual Property Update, Vol. 10, No. 1, January 2007.
- Sweeney, John F., Dr. Andrea Wayda and Pamela A. Kayatta, “Understanding Your Company’s Antitrust Exposure While Litigating Or Settling Patent Lawsuits Under Hatch-Waxman”, The Pharma, Biotech and Device Colloquium, hosted by Pricewaterhouse Coopers and McKinsey in Princeton, N.J. June 2004.
You can contact Pamela at her email, or by filling out the below form: